The English edition of the book Textural Videogames is coming soon.
View the Italian edition on Lulu →
On October 23 2014, during Milan Games Week opening in Pirelli HangarBicocca, we presented Playing The Game 2014, a selection of videogames brought together by the creative reinterpretation of some of the most peculiar elements of electronic games: enemies to beat, scores to achieve and levels to complete.
To further explore the topics covered in that event, we made a printed publication containing:
- exclusive interviews with the developers of the indiegames shown in the exhibition [Alex Kriss (Progression), ceMelusine (ΘRΑΩLE), Davey Wreden (The Stanley Parable), Ed Key (Proteus), Richard E. Flanagan (Fract OSC), Sander van der Vegte (Autopret), Tale of Tales (The Graveyard)];
- information about all the games shown;
- short essays by international personalities that cover the subject from multiple points of view (Adela Muntean, Claudio Musso, Federica Fiumelli, Francesco Tenaglia, Giorgia Noto, Giulia Incani, Giuliano Tarlao, Michelle & Marc Ouellette, Paolo Mele, Paul Booth, Stephanie Vie).
The topics covered in the catalogue has been investigated since the first edition of Playing The Game (2012), looking for videogames that open our eyes to new perspectives, redefining the very notion of videogame.
For this reason the selected titles range from classics to exclusive preview which are never been presented before. A large part of these videogames is constituted by recent indiegames.
This is the complete list of the games showcased in Pirelli HangarBicocca and presented in the publication:
- Animal Crossing (2001), Nintendo EAD;
- Autopret (2014 unpublished), Sander van der Vegte;
- Creatures (1996), Millennium Interactive Ltd.;
- Fract OSC (2014), Phosfiend Systems;
- ICO (2001), Team Ico;
- L.O.L.: Lack of Love (2000), Love-de-Lic, Inc.;
- L.S.D.: Dream Emulator (1998), OutSide Directors Company;
- Little Computer People (1985), Activision;
- Myst (1993), Cyan, Inc.;
- ΘRΑΩLE (2014), ceMelusine;
- Progression (2014), Alex Kriss;
- Proteus (2013), Ed Key & David Kanaga;
- Spore Creature Creator (2008), Maxis Software;
- The Graveyard (2008), Tale of Tales;
- The Incredible Machine (1992), Dynamix, Inc.;
- The Secret of Monkey Island (1990), LucasArts Entertainment Company;
- The Stanley Parable (2013), Galactic Cafe.